November 19, 2020

Exceptional Conditions Permit for EPSL and EFMLEA Under FFCRA

Any signatory contractor who is required to provide leave for an eligible employee through Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) and/or Emergency Family Medical Leave Extension Act (EFMLEA) under the Families First Coronavirus Recovery Act (FFCRA) can obtain an Exceptional Conditions permit through District Council 16. This permit allows a contractor to pay only Taxable Net Wages and Health & Welfare contributions on those leave hours. 

To get this Exceptional Conditions permit, a contractor should email a written request to DC16’s Director of Service, Madison Hull, at and include NCAT’s Director of Labor Relations, Brooke Fishel at, on the request. We encourage all contractors to submit such a request as soon as you become aware of an employee’s need for such a leave. 

Do not include the name of the employee on the EPSL or EFMLEA request due to HIPAA laws. Just denote them as Employee #1, Employee # 2, etc. followed by the last four digits of their social security number.

Contractors should note in their payroll system that the payment is for EPSL and/or EFMLEA.

A sample of an Exceptional Conditions request can be downloaded here.

If you have any questions, please contact NCAT's Director of Labor Relations, Brooke Fishel, at or by calling 510-428-9486.

Profile picture for user
by Brooke Fishel, Director of Labor Relations